We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God and, as such, have practical implications on how we live our lives.
We believe that men and women have full equality in the eyes of God and in the eyes of man while also having complimentary roles. (Gal 3:28, 1 Cor 11:11-12) We practice these two truths in the following scripturally based ways:
- The roles of Elder and Lead Pastor will be held by men.
- Men and women are called to and can serve in positions of leadership, teaching, and pastoral roles.
- Men and women can lead worship songs and the various part of the worship services such as communion and offering.
- Men and women who are not serving as the Lead Pastor are able to teach/preach in weekend services, events, conferences, and trainings under the authority of the Elders.
- Men and women can lead or co-lead groups where they are teaching/instructing other men and women in the group. Adult discipleship is best accomplished when men disciple men and women disciple women. While it is not always possible, we strive to apply that practice to discipleship environments.
- For additional information, please request our more comprehensive doctrinal statement, “The Roles of Men and Women in Ministry” or ask to speak with our Elders.
Rejection of one's biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person. (Gen 1:26-27)
We believe that the term "marriage" has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture. (Gen 2:18-25) We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor 6: 18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4.) We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful. (Matt 15:18-20; 1 Cor 6:9-10.)
We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of Valley Real Life as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to the VRL members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by VRL in any capacity, or, in most roles, who serve as volunteers, agree to and abide by this Statement on Gender, Marriage, and Sexuality. (Matt 5:16; Phil 2:14-16; 1 Thess 5:22.)
We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19-21; Rom 10:9-10; 1 Cor 6:9-11.)
We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31) Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of Valley Real Life.